Senior STRAIGHT Talk
Podcast on HealthCare Leadership
I was recently featured on Seniors STRAIGHT Talk show, discussing how the LeadingAGE Leadership Academy was founded and how to seek out and identify healthcare workers with leadership qualities. There are many health care workers with tremendous qualities for leadership that go unidentified.
The importance of recognizing leadership qualities and cultivating leaders in healthcare is imperative for creating effective team building and care environments. This applies to supervisors, managers, owners, and operators. Larry contends that many lineworkers are drawn to this field because they have a heartfelt desire to help care for older adults.
The show discusses what it’s going to take for the country to develop long term care plans that will instill confidence in the increasing number of our population’s older adults and their families.
The Smoldering Embers of a Fiery Youth
This four-part series will explore how people age successfully and deal with tough family problems in the course of growing old together.
- Session 1- The Smoldering Embers- How to stay as healthy and engaged
- Session 2- Family Complications- Who controls the car keys
- Session 3- Planning for Eventualities- But not “one of those places”
- Session 4- There Comes a Time- Finishing life with few regrets
Larry Minnix has 40 plus years in senior services through Wesley Woods and LeadingAge, an advocacy organization based in Washington. He is a United Methodist clergy. He and his wife, Kathleen have been members of Decatur First for over 40 years. They live in Avondale and have two sons and daughters-in-law and 5 grandchildren. At the age of 73, the recent pandemic has forced Larry to learn to make cookies and meatloaf as new hobbies.
Caring for Aging Adults
Decatur First United Methodist Church
- SESSION ONE (Wednesday, August 21 • 6-7 pm) – The Twelve Secrets to Successful Aging
- SESSION TWO (Wednesday, August 28 • 6-7 pm) – Barriers that Make Successful Aging Difficult
- SESSION THREE (Sunday, September 1 • 11 am-Noon) – Labors of Love- Caregiving
- SESSION FOUR (Wednesday, September 4 • 6-7 pm) – Plan to Live 100 Years, Live Like There’s No Tomorrow